Manhattan Beach High School Threat Determined to Be Harmless
The Mira Costa High School campus is back to normal operations, say officials.
Police have determined that a threat made today (Monday, Dec. 14) against Mira Costa High School is nonexistent, at least in terms of normal school activities.
School District Superintendent Dr. Michael Matthews informed parents and others of the latest development in an email Monday afternoon.
When the threat was first received Monday around 1 p.m., students and staff were put into a “working lockdown,” said Manhattan Beach Police Department Officer Stephanie Martin. They remained in classrooms in a “shelter in place” lockdown and then were moved to a specific area for their lunch period as MBPD and school administrators conducted “a thorough search of all classrooms and other areas on campus. This search yielded nothing suspicious,” he wrote in an email to parents.
The threat was the third in seven days made against the high school, the solo public high school in Manhattan Beach. Last Monday, a bomb threat that was called in prompted the evacuation, closure and subsequent search of the campus. Nothing suspicious was found.
Last Friday, an email threat to the school shuttered it and the nearby Pennekamp Elementary School “out of an abundance of caution,” Dr. Matthews wrote in am email. Nothing suspicious was found.
“I know that you share in my feelings of anger and frustration at these ongoing attempts to disrupt our students’ learning and our daily lives,” he wrote in today’s email. “MBPD and the FBI are committed to continuing their investigation, and we will do whatever is in our power to support them in the identification and prosecution of those responsible.”
Dr. Matthews said the school district is “examining what we will have to do to make up the lost instructional time from both today and the incidents last week.”
Today’s incident caused the “working lockdown,” an extended lunch period, and shortened fifth and sixth periods, wrote Dr. Matthews.
“We appreciate your patience during this inconvenience, and based on guidance from MBPD felt it was necessary to take the above precautions. Our goal is to minimize any further disruption to learning caused by the unacceptable and irresponsible actions of the past week.
“We will, of course, continue to put student and staff safety first, and will take whatever measures are necessary to do so. That said, we will also do everything possible to keep school in session and students on a normal schedule.”
Mira Costa High School’s last day of school in 2015 is this Friday, Dec. 18. Students are then off for the standard two-week holiday break.